Thursday, July 14, 2016

Life, God, & Chess

What images come to mind when you think about life and faith?

Remember when Forest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get"?

It sure feels like that sometimes. Although, in my opinion, the movie was far more about Providence than Chance.

What about sports? The Apostle Paul often used GrecoRoman sports as metaphors for faith like, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control,[b] lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 ESV

What about chess?

Ariana, my 12-year old daughter, was given a Sunday school assignment to connect faith and chess. Although she doesn't play chess often I enjoyed her metaphors.

Here are a couple of her insights:
  • The wrong move can affect everything. We don't see the bigger picture sometimes, but the things we do can effect everything in the long run.
  • God uses us to 'capture' others and bring them to our side/Christ.
  • God puts us where we need to be not where we want to be.
  • You can't just move a piece for fun you have to move it for a reason, like how God created us for a reason.
  • And there are people in life that help you move ahead and make a way for you.
  • We have to make a way for our team and help the other pieces get to their right place. Then its checkmate for everyone!
I pray that the Lord will help my wife and I to raise our princess to be a Queen after his own heart.

I'm grateful for her reflection.

A lot of people feel like pawns. But God calls us a royal priesthood.

Some folks don't know what moves to make. But we can pray for wisdom.

In this dark times, it feels like we won't win. But we are more than conquerors.

Most of all, I'm grateful that the Lord Jesus Christ is in control of the board.

Whatever moves I make, whatever moves seem to come against me, the Lord is with me.

His plans prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment